Sunday, July 5, 2009

Oriental Coleslaw

As I mentioned here, I forgot to take pictures of the creation of the chocolate chip cookies. I did take a picture of the finished product thinking I could just post that with the recipe, but then my mom informed me I'd have another opportunity to make them in the near future as she signed me up to take them to an upcoming church pool party. So now you can expect that recipe sometime after next Monday.

If I'm taking a side dish to a church potluck or a cookout with friends chances are highly likely I will be bringing Oriental Salad (or Asian Coleslaw for those who prefer to be politically correct). So as you might have guessed, when I needed to make a side for dinner Friday night I had only one option. Not only do I make this for a crowd I also make it for myself. I do restrain myself from eating it in one sitting (that's a lot of oil) and spread it out my consumption over the course of a week (which is still probably not healthy).
Oriental Coleslaw
You'll need:
1 pkg. shredded cabbage (coleslaw mix)
6 green onions, sliced
1/4-1/2 stick of butter
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1 pkg. oriental flavored Ramen noodles, crushed
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. vinegar
2 Tbs soy sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pkg seasoning from Ramen noodles
Saute margarine, sunflower seeds, almonds and crushed noodles until brown. Let cool.
Combine dressing mixture of vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, pepper, and Ramen noodle seasoning packet. I do this a while before serving and let the dressing chill in the refrigerator prior to combining everything.
Just prior to serving, combine cabbage, green onions, and saute mixture. Pour the dressing over the salad, serve, and devour.
Keep your fingers crossed that I remember to take pictures of the cookies next week. Maybe by week three of the blogging experience I'll be more inclined to remember.

No comments: