Monday, December 13, 2010

Wild Rice Soup with Chicken (IN MY NEW POT!!)

Take a look at this beauty.  (Compliments of C's generous parents.)




I love it. (And I love them. More.)

Since bringing this beauty (yet to be named) home, I have debated what the inaugural dish should be.  I decided on this soup that is easy, yummy, and healthy.  I know I say that C likes most of the recipes I post, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is in his top 3.  He went as far to say that he would still like this soup with mustard in it.

Wild Rice Soup with Chicken

What you'll need:
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 lg. carrot, diced
1 chopped celery rib
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/2 c. flour
8 cups chicken stock
3 cups cooked wild rice
3 cups cooked chicken breasts
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup evaporated milk, fat-free
1/2 cup chopped parsley

What you'll do:

In a large sauce pan saute onion, carrot, and celery in the butter until soft. Stir in flour until well blended.

Gradually add in chicken stock (I used chicken base and water).  Stir in chicken, rice, salt, and pepper.

Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Once boiling, add evaporated milk and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.

Add parsley (if that's your thing) and serve.


If you are cooking this soup in your new Le Creuset pot I suggest first taking the aper label off the bottom.  I only recognized this when (hand) washing the pot after cooking the soup.  That explained the odd smell when I first turned the stove on.  I thought it had to do with the paint on the pot.

1 comment: