Thursday, November 4, 2010

Grandma Stephenson's Butternut Squash

Here's a favorite in the Stephenson family.  Last year I made this and this year my mom will be making this dish.  It's a comfort food classic and a staple on the Stephenson family Thanksgiving table.

Grandma Stephenson's Butternut Squash Casserole

(This is pre-cooked. Only picture I have.)
What you need
2 cups, cooked and smashed up butternut squash (I do this several weeks in advance, measure out and freeze)
1 stick of butter, melted
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
4 carrots, grated
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 a package of Pepperidge Farm Stuffing Mix (not the cubed)

What you do

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

If you are using frozen squash, let thaw and then let it sit in a strainer over a bowl to drain out the excess liquid.  This is a must.  I found out the hard way.

Combine butter and stuffing in a separate bowl and let sit so the stuffing can absorb all of the fatty goodness.

In a large bowl combine drained squash, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, carrots, and onion. 

Place half of the stuffing/butter mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish.  I'm not sure why, but Grandma always did it and we did not question her.  We also did not question her when we were told we were putting too much laundry in the washer or dryer. Which also reminds me, I think Grandma used Cheer to wash her clothes, because that is what I currently have and it reminds me of her. 

After half of the stuffing mixture has been spread on the bottom of the baking dish, nicely dump the squash mixture on top and smooth over.  Put the other half of the stuffing/butter mixture on top.

Bake for 30 minutes or until you think it is done.

I seriously have not had this dish and it didn't taste delish (except for that time Grandma accidentally used tomatoes instead of squash).  But that's how Grandmas are, right? It just never tastes as good when you make it on your own (same goes for trying my Mom's recipes). So if you have some consistency problems, tweak away.

And make sure to share this dish at your Thanksgiving (or Christmas) meal! I promise it will not disapoint.

No comments: